View Single Post
Old 22nd November 2015, 17:34   #34359  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YxP View Post
Georgel,

If you get crashes, you might want to disable any overclocking for starters. Also, there is no need to max out madvr settings, bigger is not necessarily better. Especially on sharpening algos. For example, I'd consider any picture destroyed at strength 4. There are chroma upscaling comparisons somewhere in this thread, but I can't find them right now so you just have to take my word - chroma upscaling is less important than luma and if you can run jinc for chroma you are totally fine and maybe even that is an overkill. I use bilateral.

Did quick google search and found this page, maybe it will give you some sense how big or small of an effect chroma upscaling has http://wiki.mikejung.biz/MadVR_Chrom..._Image_Quality
Thanks, I had seen that particular page, and it did not seem to me that there were many differences either.

I have no overclocking on, and I use NVinspector, not to overclock but to enable MPC-HC in optimus to use my Nvidia GPU (without manually using NVinspector, MPC-HC is forced to run on intel gpu, and this includes madvr).

I had a discussion with Nvidia, and it seems they make the hardest efforts possible to disable people from using Nvidia Gpu for video playback, because it consumes more power this way.

My scaling algorithms page looks like this:

Chroma Upscaling
Image downscaling
image doubling
image upscaling
upscaling refinement.

I do not know where luma upscaling is?

I mainly watch anime, and it shows visible differences between bucubic and jinc, but no differences between needi3 and jinc (maybe I do not pay attention to what I should?)

I solved the crashing problem by reinstalling video drivers (Nvidia is really bad at making drivers, even more when you consider that they know that the gtx 800 series has problems, but nobody from them does not care to fix this )

I am already posing myself with the general question of if I should get a laptop that has a gtx980 inside or wait for pascal release, as my gtx860m does not cut it for all my games nor I cannot set all options on highest setting in madVR (I am spending about 40% of my time watching anime).

Any opinion and advice is very welcome!
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote