View Single Post
Old 22nd February 2015, 02:39   #52  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm3nian View Post
Replace resolution with 'information'. If something has 4x the information of another thing, saying it has 2x instead makes no sense. If you want to say 2x the resolution, then you would have to independantly define and state that resolution x is 2 times greater horizontally and 2 times greater vertically than resolution y.
This is exactly my point. The sort hand "2x the resolution" means 2 times greater horizontally and 2 times greater vertically. You cannot replace resolution with information; they are not synonymous.

To be precise "2x the resolution" is ambiguous, it could have either interpretation. It would be more precise to say "2x the resolution horizontally and vertically" or "twice the number of pixels".

There are reasonable reasons to talk about resolution as the total number of pixels but that is not the convention normally used when discussing digital images and video (unless you are a marketing department).

2x scaling gives 2x the resolution (Nvidia's DSR notwithstanding, they only want to describe the performance hit and do not care about conventions).

Anyway I am happy to agree to disagree, only know if I say "2x the resolution" I mean 4 times the number of pixels.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote