View Single Post
Old 11th March 2019, 16:45   #3  |  Link
lansing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
Rec.601 was typically used for standard definition broadcast content back in the day, that part is correct, and probably for DVD's originating with broadcast content, as well as older movie DVD's (before HDTV became common). It was never really consistent though, AFAIK. These days you shouldn't need to guess colorimetry if you have an actual DVD or broadcast source - there will almost certainly be metadata that specifies the colorimetry.

That being said, the main reason for converting to Rec601 wasn't that Avisynth didn't handle it (it doesn't matter as long as you're working in YUV, it's only relevant if you're converting to RGB), it was that pretty much all video players and renderers assumed Rec601 colorimetry, so colors would look kinda off when viewing if you kept Rec709 unchanged.
So basically the entire description of the official colormatrix documentation is wrong?

Quote:
These days though you should usually not need to convert colorimetry between SDR colorspaces - just make sure the metadata is kept intact and any decent player will do the right thing when converting to RGB for display.
Does that mean there would still be a rec601->rec709 conversion but it would be taken care by the player automatically? So if I am to encode a dvd into x264 and playback on my computer, I shouldn't be doing the rec601->rec709 conversion in the script? But then how would the player knows what colorimetry to use on playback?
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote