View Single Post
Old 16th August 2020, 00:13   #6  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

I don't believe a TBC is of any use when you're working with an SDI output. I think it's solely useful when capturing analog video, but I could be wrong about that

Even if you're capturing from an analog Beta(SP) your VTR will do a great job of digitizing it. The DVW-A500 is a monster . I.. A frame sync on the other hand is often useful, but generally not for cases like this, especially with short cable runs. If you have one laying around like an AJA FS1 it might not hurt to throw it inline...

You shouldn't need to do anything more than connect SDI out from the VTR to SDI in on the capture card, plus an RS422 serial port for deck control if you care to use it. That should literally be it.

I'd makes sure you're on the latest stable driver and firmware for your card to start. Also maybe use a different SDI cable just in case. Also, are you sure your local storage can keep up quite reliably with the video format you're capturing? Uncompressed 576i 4:2:2 10 bit is still like 220 Mbps, which isn't much, but may be a challenge if your disks are nearly full or there's other stuff happening on your system Try capturing into H.264 or something as a validation.

Do you have a different VTR you can try with as well? As a last resort you _might_ get better results using a second VTR to dub to a fresh Digibeta tape, and then capturing that.

Last edited by Blue_MiSfit; 16th August 2020 at 00:19.
Blue_MiSfit is offline   Reply With Quote