View Single Post
Old 3rd September 2013, 08:14   #24  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
The quote from wiki is taken out of context, which context refers strictly to playback on computers and/or encapsulation into containers AKA files again on computers.
How do you play your CD tracks ripped as FLAC/WAVE/Lossless files? With a CD player? What else would it be referring to?
The quote isn't taken out of context. The part I quoted stated all lossless formats are inherently gapless. Which part of that statement are you disputing?

Quote:
For one claiming to have read the thread it seems quite a mischance to miss the explanation given therein. Anyway, there are no files on CDs, just structures.
I've read the whole thread. Unless ripping a CD to wave+cue as you suggested somehow copies the CD structure, as opposed to ripping to FLAC+cue or multi-track FLAC, what's your point?

Quote:
To further quote wiki,
I see no CD player there, again a strong hint that gapless playback and its conditions refers strictly to something else than a CD. An eagle eye would immediately notice that all HW solutions above have a common concept the file access.
I don't think it'd take an eagle anything to understand the ripped files won't be played with a CD player. The question originally asked was what would be a good method of ripping a CD in order to be able to burn the ripped files to make an identical copy. You said in relation to FLAC+cue:
"should a CD be gap-less (like most electronic music and live concerts) there is a good chance that a short (and nasty) gap would appear at track boundaries" then you claimed:
"Because I tried and there is also a nice *technical* explanation why it won't work, except in particular cases. "

Sometimes it seems the simpler the question, the harder you try to avoid answering it. When will this nasty gap you refer to appear when using FLAC+cue, or individual FLAC files, or a multi-channel FLAC file, or whenever you believe using FLAC will cause it to happen? When you re-burn the FLAC files as a new CD? Once I know, I'll happily test it for myself. And once again, what's the technical explanation for it happening to which you referred?

Last edited by hello_hello; 3rd September 2013 at 10:02.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote