View Single Post
Old 16th October 2019, 19:37   #17527  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dunne View Post
Well, as I said, I'd like to have my 4K's at a "standard" of 60Mps, and again, as I've said, some have lower than that, some are higher, so for that I need to run them thru RB, even if it's video only.
For what I want & need to do to audio, can be dealt with other app's, as too, the subtitles.
I have to agree, I don't like grain either, but fortunately most 4K's aren't very "noisy", so not a lot of filtering required.
I know I need to try a few different options, but it's the time factor that's my main concern...imagine doing a high bitrate 4K HEVC, on a Slow preset, using MDGrain2....day's even with my "farm".
But the other time waster is between when the encode is completed, and the start of the next job in queue...meaning the muxing, etc...it leaves a lot of resources doing nothing. , but having said that, I am yet to test this again, after putting some SSD's in the mix.
One thing I would like to get around to doing is upscaling some 1080p to 4K, but do any filtering, etc, still @ 1080p, then once satisfied, do a 4K HEVC encode, and see how it turns out.
But just imagine the time & resources involved when 8K is a lot more common place.
You'd want to look at some of the advanced x265/HEVC commands to preserve detail but you should still be able to reduce size while it being near same quality.
Personally I go for looks 95% precieved quality, so I don't have any good settings for you to start with.
That said, if you are using filters like MDGrain2, IMO you shouldn't worry about the bitrate because you're going to be chopping out a lot with that so you should just use CRF12 or so from what it I'm guessing you like. If you are using constant bitrate with MDegrain2 and it is set higher/same as source you're wasting bits.
If you're going to use constant bitrate without filters I'd set it a little lower than source at least and do 2pass and you'll likely get something 99.9999% the same if you can even see a difference (depending on your settings). Some HEVC settings do bluring, slight denoise/dehalo type stuff so if it isn't looking close to the source your settings are the issue.
From the sounds of it you need a bigger SSD, guessing at least 500GB or more.
As for upscaling the way you want to do it isn't a problem since you'd do the filters either before or after the upscale and upscale all in one job, then encode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dunne View Post
I noticed another small auto update today (just core.exe). A change to the command script, cmd features/control.
A lot of time seems to be getting spent on this script for when a job is completed...I for one don't really get the idea behind this, I think someone requested a feature for deleting completed jobs.....
If that's basically what it's for, I would prefer to do it manually !!
And what of my simple feature request, on RB gui's main window, the current core version/build is displayed (for quick reference)
I just got a chance to use the new update and it is great for me. Really reduced my manual tasks.
You can do a lot with it besides deleting source files.
Also, made sure when a lot of jobs fail my drives won't fill up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparade View Post
Is it possible to have jobs deleted automatically after they are completed successfully? (Not in batch mode)
Settings > [uncheck] Keep jobs after successful conversion
byteshare is offline   Reply With Quote