View Single Post
Old 7th July 2018, 00:39   #51658  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmone View Post
- NVidia Settings that stick for RGB 12-Bit for both UHD@23.796 / YCbCr422 for UHD@50/60p (or just RGB 8-Bit as I only have the one UHD HDR BD @ 60p)
Use 8-bit RGB with ordered or error diffusion dithering. High quality dithering keeps much of the data from madVR's 16 bit internal bitdepth, preventing banding and adding very little noise when converting to 8 bit. This is the highest quality option, much better than using 4:2:2.

However, this is assuming your projector does not use 4:2:2 internally. Use the http://madshi.net/madVR/ChromaRes.png. It is 1920x1080, view it at 100%, no zoom/resize.

Quote:
- Windows HDR that does not keep turning ON when the video finishes playing and you are back to the desktop
I never have any issues with this, with a Titan XP connected to a 2017 LG OLED TV. Do you ever turn it on? Leave it disabled.

Quote:
If the above can not be done, should I try HDR to SDR conversion in madVR, or... just use YCbCr422 for all resolutions, or.... ?
My TV works better with 8 bit input, I have more banding with 12 bit, but that is my TV's fault.

However, I would still much rather send my TV 8 bit RGB over 12 bit 4:2:2, unless it was in a mode that used 4:2:2 processing internally, even for HDR. Using 4:2:2 blurs two out of three image planes to 50% of their resolution horizontally. This damages the two chroma planes a lot. Humans do see color weirdly but this is still worse than well dithered 8 bit. The source is 4:2:0 but madVR has very good chroma upscaling, especially with a 1070.

Last edited by Asmodian; 7th July 2018 at 00:42.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote