View Single Post
Old 27th July 2016, 19:34   #4250  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
Just to point this out once more. You don't have and most likely never should demux all tracks if you're aiming to put them into Matroska later anyway. Valueable meta information is almost lost that way (e.g. timestamps, tags, track names, track language etc. etc.). Always only demux those tracks that you intend to re-encode, not the others.

Additionally the risk of the content being modified in undesired ways (such as your encoding issue) as there's no character set conversion involved at all when you mux from Matroska to Matroska.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind in the future (but hopefully never ever have to recover everything again)

I think I demuxed all tracks because the order is not always the same, or there are PGS subs or SRT subs etc. I probably couldn't find a decent way to automate things so I went the easiest way.

One thing about those character sets. I recall that you changed some default behaviour related to that at some point, not so long ago, but reverted the change later. Do you happen to remember if that could have anything to do with the problem?

EDIT: Found the thing. The change was made in v8.6.0, then reverted back in v8.7.0. It affected all text files output by the tools, which probably caused my issue. I just happened to have bad luck there to use one of those versions with the change.

Last edited by Boulder; 27th July 2016 at 19:42.