View Single Post
Old 30th October 2011, 09:27   #27  |  Link
xekon

OMG OMG OMG! The programmer in me has just thought of a VERY COOL feature you could add!

call it a visual tool for super fast comparison. (OCR can only get so good, and if you want to verify perfect subs, this is a good way to do it.)

The goal should always be perfect OCR on the first sweep, but visually checking the subs afterwards is just to verify, and the quicker you can do that the better.

Let me know what you think of this idea, I am sure it would actually be something that would be pretty fun to program.

Please let me know what you think because i think it would be AWESOME!

I am drawing an illustration in Photoshop now.

EDIT: ok to illustrate my idea... OCR a .SUP file. then use the arrow key to go down line by line, reading the text, and then looking at the image to compare and see that they are the same.

Now, that is not exactly quick, the brain has to think more, it has to remember more, and your eyes have to move and focus on more than one area, below is my idea:

Basically, use an opengl or directx library that can overlay text, or any library that looks like it will work to overlay text with transparency. And size the text to roughly overlay the SUB image with like a 50-60% transparency. The letters dont have to line up perfectly, anywhere close will allow you to quickly with just a glance tell if the sub and text match visually. (basically you read the sub line ONLY once, and your brain looks for discrepancies as you do it. versus reading two or three times, and moving your eye between locations, and also having to remember and hope you remember correctly.)

I think for somebody that visually checks there OCR for their subs, this would probably speed up the process for them 200%+

see how easy it is to see that they match:

here is one that passed the OCR, but is incorrect:

here is another one that passed the OCR, but is incorrect (depending on the library used you could even apply a border/stroke to the outside of the letters)

here is another, there is probably one that passes through the ocr, green light and all, in every episode, you just have to look carefully (you might even be able to adjust the thickness of the characters, so that they usually fall within the bounds of the SUB image character outlines):

Last edited by xekon; 30th October 2011 at 10:51.
xekon is offline   Reply With Quote