View Single Post
Old 16th April 2020, 16:23   #2  |  Link
shph

When i capture from Hi8 tape to ProRes422 MOV, there are always some slightly clipped highlights and overloaded colors. It looks clipped in color managed QuicktimeX player as well as in non color managed VLC player.

I see same "clipped" look when i remux AVI DV source captured on Windows to MOV DV container without recompression.

That clipping amount is less than Full vs Video levels difference, so wrong Levels setup is not a source of this problem i guess.

If i put that "clipped" file to Resolve on mac OS, it also looks clipped but i can magically bring back large amount of clipped data by adjusting Gain down.

If i put that "clipped" file to Vegas Pro on Windows, and render again to native ProRes422 MOV, and then put it into Resolve - there is no clipping. It looks exact like with manually adjusted Gain.

It looks like some another very specific and strange macOS-related problem with some transformations between video and RGB...

UPDATE1. In DaVinci Resolve, if i render these videos with hidden clipped data to ProRes422HQ with render setting "Retain sub-black and super-white data" and import back to Resolve - it keeps that hidden clipped data, and i can recover it when adjust Gain down.

If i render without render setting "Retain sub-black and super-white data" and import back to Resolve - that hidden clipped data is lost and i see only plain digital clipping when adjust Gain down.

It feels like i deal with some kind of magic Hi8 RAW that never clips
I am not against adjusting in Resolve like this, but i just can't understand the nature of this phenomenon. Seems is not related specially to Hi8 or DV. I also noticed that hidden highlights are very different. Sometimes they so deep, that they are not fully recovered even if i change Video to Full levels in clip attributes.

Here are few examples. Capture chain: Hi8 Sony CCD-TR3100E S-Video OUT -> Kramer FC-400 Time Base Corrector -> BlackMagic Intensity Pro PCI card S-Video IN -> MediaExpress -> ProRes422HQ -> Resolve YRGB non color managed project Rec709/gamma2.4

Test pattern generated by Kramer TBS corrector looks ok. No clipping:

Some extremely bright and saturated clipped experimental stuff. Hi8 tape:

Same video with adjusted Gain:

Other not so bright example but also clipped. Hi8 tape:

Adjusted Gain:

Here is another example from MiniDV tape. AVI DV was captured in WIndows directly from camera with FireWire interface.

UPDATE2. In addition problem with highlights clipping on Hi8/DV tapes captured with MediaExpress to ProRes422HQ on macOS, here is another example of very strange hidden highlights clipping problem in Hi8 and DV tapes captured earlier on Windows with consumer TV tuner card or digitally with FireWire card to AVI DV.

AVI DV -> QT Player 7 remux-to MOV DV -> Vegas CLIPPING

AVI DV -> Vegas NO CLIPPING

AVI DV -> QT Player 7 remux-to MOV DV -> Hybrid convert-to MOV ProRes422HQ -> Vegas NO CLIPPING

MediaExpress capture-to MOV ProRes422HQ -> Vegas NO CLIPPING

Same time on macOS tape captured to DV as well as to ProRes422HQ in ANY player or ANY app ALWAYS looks with clipped highlights.
But as described earlier, those hidden highlights are very easy to bring back in Resolve, or keep during render for future recovery by selecting render setting "Retain sub-black and super-white data". But it is impossible to bring them back in Vegas, even if switch Vegas project to 32 bit.

Clipping difference examples directly from Vegas 16 Preview:

shph is offline   Reply With Quote