Thread: VSFilterMod
View Single Post
Old 19th February 2010, 22:22   #4  |  Link
jiifurusu
Aegisub developer

I am the current lead developer of Aegisub, and has also done some development on VSFilter, mostly in 2008 where I introduced several extensions, in addition to fixing a number of rendering bugs.

Edit: For a more detailed opinion, please see this blog post: http://blog.aegisub.org/2010/02/old-...-vsfilter.html

I recommend staying away from the extensions introduced in this third fork of VSFilter. (Third: The two other are Guliverkli2 and MPC-HC.) I would also highly recommend not using the extensions I made to VSFilter in 2008, despite them being in both Guliverkli2 and MPC-HC.
Aegisub will never support the extensions made in VSFilterMod.

I personally regret making feature additions to VSFilter myself in 2008, and in fact did it soon after releasing them. They were never meant to be used in subtitles distributed, though I should have seen that happening. The ASS format reached its essentially final form in 2004, and should ideally not have changed since then.

So I beg: Please do not use the extensions.

The ASS format is bad in many ways, and the way to make it better is not to smack more mud on the already huge ball it is. The only solution is to create a new format from scratch, with proper specifications and have the community involved in the development, of course.

Last edited by jiifurusu; 20th February 2010 at 00:48. Reason: Link new blog post with detailed opinion
jiifurusu is offline   Reply With Quote