Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 30th September 2013, 00:26   #50  |  Link
qyot27
...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery Keeper View Post
But I couldn't build AviSynth plugin with GCC. Meaning AviSynth headers code doesn't follow the standard either.
Clarification: plugins using the [default] C++ interface can't be compiled with GCC. Part of the raison d'être for the C interface is to enable GCC to build plugins - the C interface itself also forms the backbone of the AviSynth input support in x264 (since late 2009) and FFmpeg (since March of this year).

But there's only a few plugins currently that actually make use of the C interface (off the top of my head, FFMS2's C plugin variant, AssRender, and yadif), and it's still subject to the huge caveat that C plugins aren't included in the autoloading feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet
As far as name goes, isn't 'avi' a bit old now, would 'AVSynth' work?
'AVSynth' seems like an FFmpeg function name conflict waiting to happen; if the desire is for a more general name, 'MediaSynth' would be more unique and less likely to conflict name-wise (but personally I'd view that as a last resort since the scripting language is still basically going to be AviSynth's, which is another reason why I think suffixing would be fine; other languages usually take a descendant diverging from them dramatically to invoke a name change, and often they use suffixing rather than completely changing the name, look at all the different C family members, all of which probably diverge from C more than ultim's changes will end up diverging from current AviSynth's scripting language).

IMO, 'avi' being old has little bearing on the name. When using NLE software, lossless codecs are still usually best transported in AVI (if you aren't using something Apple-specific or device-specific, anyway) due to the least common denominator familiarity with that container and the simple one frame in, one frame out I/O mechanism of Video for Windows, and the basic I/O features of an AviSynth script still match the way AVIs are used with lossless codecs (even with projects moving away from accessing AviSynth through Video for Windows and just accessing the library directly).