View Single Post
Old 4th July 2017, 13:09   #164  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

The blank cells are indeed compatible with anything before and after them IF and ONLY IF they are separate video objects, and therefore they must have a new VOB ID. Otherwise, the timecodes will suddenly jump to incompatible values within the current VOB and the player may crash or may at least be confused. And that's only an example of the many bad things that can occur.

The PGC is relatively easy to modify to add a new VOB, or even to reference a new cell in an existing VOB, but the other tables must be actualized, and some of them may be tricky to modify and may require to scan the whole VOB. It's a big job, and I don't want to do it just so that you (and probably only you) can do illegal/incompatible things.

I must also add that I don't understand why you need that feature. You wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
This artificially logically adds a new "segment" - and some other programs interpret this as two parts (like eg main feature and its trailer or studio/authorhouse logo - there are commercial DVDs employing this scheme).
Indeed, sometimes, a new VOB is created by commercial programs for obscure reasons, but a new VOB MUST also be created when the angle changes, and many authoring programs add it also at the layer break position. That means that the division of a single movie into several VOBs is frequent and must NEVER be a problem, as otherwise many commercial DVDs would not work correctly. If you use a program that supports only a single VOB, that means that it has a big bug, and you should ask its programmer to fix it. It's not the job of PgcEdit to implement complex workarounds for badly programmed apps.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote