View Single Post
Old 13th June 2018, 16:12   #76  |  Link
WorBry

Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekh View Post
This is result of correction after applying srgb to linear filter:
How/where do you do that in VDub2 ?

Meanwhile.....here's the best compromise I could come up with in Resolve.

Any warmer than that and the rust coloration on the rock just bloomed. It proved impossible to a apply a qualifier to diminish/offset that and the shadow cast on the sand. There was just too much overlap in the wide spectrum of hues with those on the turtles shell. To try and do so just wrecked the detail on the turtle that I'd worked hard to bring out. No amount of feathering (smoothing) of the qualifier helped and blurring...well just blurred it. Best I could do was to target a narrower range of 'hot-spot' hues picked off the turtle shell (using the Hue-Saturation Curve) and partially desaturate them, which helped a bit.

Edit: The image as posted definitely shows more residual green tint (notably on the seabed) than the original graded image. Not sure why, but I aint redoing it.

And then another go at it with VDub2 applying similar Channel Mixer biases and just a little tweaking with the 6-axis correction filter. Increasing the pixel radius a tad (1.6) in the Unsharp Mask brought out a bit more detail on the turtle.

Bear in mind that there was no neutral reference to go by in this clip so I had to base it on a best judgement of the coloration of the turtle shell from the image you posted. Too warm maybe? No residual green tint there though.

I guess this a prime example of the question StainlessS posed earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
If optimal correction was possible, should it then look as if all water had been sucked out of the scene, with everything bone dry,
or maybe slightly soggy, and with divers hovering around on jet packs, maybe, or something else, eh ?
What's better (for divers primarily)- a 'corrected' outcome like this that looks more like a turtle in a freshwater aquarium or leaving some 'aquamarine' tint in there to signal that this at depth in sea water, maybe even turning that (now) pale, slightly muddy distance into a vibrant blue ?

That (I would suggest) is the reason why underwater photographers/videographers favour using white (daylight balanced, one assumes) light sources for illuminating sea-life at close range:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento View Post
Why red light source? A white one is the correct one to bring.
When corrected it brings out the 'truer colors' of the subject whilst leaving the background tinted, lending itself to vivid images like:

https://d1rirzyrd4ly69.cloudfront.ne...5023_62594.jpg

A pink (magenta) tinted light source would (after correction) turn a blue tinted background more green.....I think.

Does the turtle care ?

http://birdsasart.com/248/Pacifc-Gre...-Galapagos.jpg

Evidently not.

Last edited by WorBry; 13th June 2018 at 18:57.
WorBry is offline   Reply With Quote