View Single Post
Old 23rd October 2018, 19:58   #10  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

I guess that I should really read up on W7, I hate reading since my eyes got dodgy.
Is one supposed to install everything with "Run As Administrator", even when one is an Administrator ?

Think I'm gonna go back to base image (just generalized [bcd made to run from current drive rather than specific drive], and updated
via WSuS OffLine, and a few basic settings, got my beloved Windows 95 Red Tiles set up as background (I find it restful on the eyes), and also dumped all of that pinned to taskbar stuff and replaced with QuickLaunch bar, switched off taskbar button grouping + other stuff incl Windows Classic [not that awful XP Classic]).

Incidentally, I use netspeedmonitor v2.5.4 by Florian Gilles, there seems to be later versions, dont know why I use the older version, maybe just for XP,
I even use it on Windows 10 Tablet/Laptop, but have to install in compatibility mode, works fine. The thing I like about it is it sits on taskbar and gives a simple
text readout of up and down speed for Mobile Wifi, I dont usually bother tracking other stuff. Also can track volume usage, but I switch that off.

I dont find W10 that bad apart from the horrid update habits, I've learnt that there aint no point in trying to do anything when its busy updating,
but I only have W10 on tablet/laptop and would I think find it totally disagreeable if I had in on desktop.

I'll have to try out Total Commander again, some time since I used that, except on Android. Xplorer2 I already have, and quite liked.
I use Classic Shell v4.3.1, I used it on Vista (which I only booted up about a dozen times after config, XP upgrade @ £160.00 down the toilet, and felt
like a right toolbag having fell for that con trick, M$ is yet to be forgiven).

ReactOS, is looking to include part of the ShortHorn project stuff which implements Vista API's, dont know if will be included in next release in a few days.
Last install was about 100MB, so somewhat smaller that the bloat it is to replace, think I'll install for real the next offering, see if it runs Avisynth OK or not.

EDIT: Linux Cinnamon Mint is a real nice and easy path into Linux, not too disorienting for the Windows user,
but gonna take a look at both LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) and Gentoo as well, which is a source based distro,
everything is optimised for your particular system. (also uses the old system init stuff [forgot what its called] so
is similar to Android which also uses it).

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 23rd October 2018 at 20:08.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote