View Single Post
Old 26th May 2008, 09:10   #1  |  Link
Velvet Ghost

Issues with ProCoder 3 and DivX / XviD sources

I'm using ProCoder 3 to encode some files encoded in DivX / XviD into MPEG2 so that I can author them to DVD. The content is mainly rare video footage / TV transmission / concert video of a certain music artist. It's not possible for me to get any better quality sources for these, in some cases no better source exists.

The stuff is mainly from 1965 - 1985, although one particular silent clip was recorded in 1928! In accordance with the times, the quality of the video is mainly poor, with lots of noise, etc. The files have bitrates around 1000 - 2000 kbps.

What I want is a relatively faithful conversion to MPEG2, retaining whatever little video clarity there is. I've heard that ProCoder is better than CCE SP for this particular type (bad source) of conversion.

Unfortunately, even when encoding at 8000Kbps in 'Mastering' mode, I have found a significant drop in quality, even with my untrained eye. The image appears blurred and less detailed and the colours are less vibrant and look faded. When encoding at lower bitrates this quality drop obviously persists, but doesn't seem to be getting any worse. What am I doing wrong? I tried TMPGEnc and Nero codecs as well. As expected, results were even worse than ProCoder.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Velvet Ghost; 26th May 2008 at 09:20.
Velvet Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote