View Single Post
Old 9th July 2012, 03:32   #15320  |  Link
Audiophile1178

jdobbs, we've discussed the compression of Star Trek TOS season 2 disc 1 and the amount of compression used. I did a 1080p and burned it to disc and it look perfectly fine on my plasma. Up until recently I haven't been able to watch any episodes off the disc. I came across a pretty big issue on one of the episodes and wanted to watch the other three episodes before I came back here.

Note: I believe that all the episodes use seamless branching. I don't know if it's still called that for the Blu-Ray format but I know it was called that for DVDs.

Problem #1, on the first episode "Amok Time" the audio will cut out (no audio) at ~4min 40sec which is the first angle change. The only way to get it back is to fast forward or reverse (I believe this cuts the bitstream transfer) but once another angle change occurs it'll cut out again. This ONLY happens when I bitstream the DTS HD to my processor. I then changed the setup to have my OPPO (BDP-83) decode it and send an LPCM to the processor and the rest of the episode played fine. After this episode I changed it back to bitstreaming the DTS HD and the rest of the three episodes played back fine. "Amok Time" has PIP and the other episodes don't which may be causing this problem.

Problem #2, Regarding "Amok Time" the PIP has DTS Express for its secondary audio and does playback contrary to our discussion regarding the mummy movies that didn't playback the secondary audio which you stated that a compressed bluray will either playback the secondary audio or not but it's dependent on the bluray player. This doesn't seem to be the case as the secondary audio works (sort of) on this disc. Whether I'm bitstreaming or LPCMing the audio pops A LOT. I don't know if this is causing the bitstreaming issue in problem #1?

Problem #3, I believe that you're supposed to be able to swtich any angle "on the fly" (as long as there's another angle present) as stated on the main menu by pressing the angle button on the remote. This doesn't work and the only way to get it to work is to select the episode without any effects on the pop-up menu or the main menu. By doing this it'll restart the episode from the beginning. The "on the fly" angle change doesn't work for any episodes.

Please note that i'm not in any way being sarcastic in anything that I write here. I'm merely informing you of the problems discovered and relaying back my findings compared to what you told me earlier regarding dts express. I know that dts express was a big headache for you to figure out and you sorta got it working.

As always, THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS GREAT PROGRAM!!!

P.S. Hopefully, in the next few days I'll be able to do the second disc and watch some of it this weekend so that I can report further findings as it seems like these star trek tos discs are pretty complicated. I'm bringing this up as I'm eagerly anticipating the first season of the next generation and plan to do the same thing except blank half the episodes on each disc to keep the bitrate high. I don't know if TNG is going to be as complex as TOS. I hope not!

Last edited by Audiophile1178; 9th July 2012 at 03:39.
Audiophile1178 is offline   Reply With Quote