Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 7th October 2019, 19:21   #4888  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieChuckyMerry View Post
What's the difference between Lanzcos and Lanzcos4?
Form docs
Quote:
LanczosResize / Lanczos4Resize
LanczosResize is an alternative to BicubicResize with high values of c about 0.6 ... 0.75 which produces quite strong sharpening. It usually offers better quality (fewer artifacts) and a sharp image.

Lanczos was created for AviSynth because it retained so much detail, more so even than BicubicResize(x,y,0,0.75). As you might know, the more detail a frame has, the more difficult it is to compress it. This means that Lanczos is NOT suited for low bitrate video, the various Bicubic flavours are much better for this. If however you have enough bitrate then using Lanczos will give you a better picture, but in general I do not recommend using it for 1 CD rips because the bitrate is usually too low (there are exceptions of course).

The input parameter taps (default 3, 1<=taps<=100) is equal to the number of lobes (ignoring mirroring around the origin).

Lanczos4Resize (added in v2.55) is a short hand for LanczosResize(taps=4). It produces sharper images than LanczosResize with the default taps=3, especially useful when upsizing a clip.

Warning: the input argument named taps should really be lobes. When discussing resizers, taps has a different meaning, as described below (the first paragraph concerns LanczosResize(taps=2)):

"For upsampling (making the image larger), the filter is sized such that the entire equation falls across 4 input samples, making it a 4-tap filter. It doesn't matter how big the output image is going to be - it's still just 4 taps. For downsampling (making the image smaller), the equation is sized so it will fall across 4 *destination* samples, which obviously are spaced at wider intervals than the source samples. So for downsampling by a factor of 2 (making the image half as big), the filter covers 2*4=8 input samples, and thus 8 taps. For 3x downsampling, you need 3*4=12 taps, and so forth.

Thus the effective number of taps you get for downsampling is the downsampling ratio times the number of filter input taps (thus Tx downsampling and LanczoskResize results in T*2*k taps), this is rounded up to the next even integer. For upsampling, it's always just 2*k taps." Source: [avsforum post].
EDIT: From what I've read elsewhere, NNEDI3_RPow2() does not handle native 16 bit, but EDI_RPPow2() does, however, what I said in post #4886
about NNedi3_RPow2() still holds for EDI_RPow2(), do not DOWNSCALE using EDI_RPow2(), just use your chosen Spline64Resize() instead of the EDI_RPow2() line.

Only use NNEDI3_RPow2 or EDI_RPow2() if UPSIZE.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 8th October 2019 at 10:09.