View Single Post
Old 14th December 2015, 21:26   #34649  |  Link
har3inger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogli View Post
Yes, before the current version repeated frames were reported and visual stutter occured at that very moment. Now there's only the latter.

Note that this only seems to happen when fps is almost the same as the display rate. It took me some time to remember that the interlaced NTSC DVDs (actual video, not film) will have there frames doubled by DXVA deinterlacing, therefore running 59 fps at 60 Hz. This seems to be hard for FRC. (No way around starting to use ReClock, it seems?)

madVR never did report such repeated frames, at least not for me. When viewing a 24 fps movie at 60 Hz with FRC on I never got even one repeated frame reported in any version. Or do you want to say, this was by accident, because each and every frame was unique or blended, so that there never was any actual repeated frame?
Just as a test, try lowering the GPU load as much as possible (bilinear scalers, check on all the trade perf/quality options) and see if you still have stutter. Back on my old laptop, I experienced something similar, where the OSD wouldn't report any problems or glitches, but my playback would stutter and repeat frames nonstop with smooth motion on. This happens when I'm just riding the edge of the GPU's capability without dropping frames in the OSD. It's still the case with my new computer if I push things too hard.

When you're playing FRC 59 hz at 60 hz display, smooth motion has to blend pretty much every single 60 hz frame, which adds substantially more load compared to 24hz at 60 hz. Yeah, it would be much harder, plus should look much worse with so much frame ghosting. You may as well leave it off or use reclock for that. FRC works best when the display rate is at least double the source framerate.
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote