View Single Post
Old 14th November 2018, 22:22   #38  |  Link
Trench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan654 View Post
The readme/changelog tells you it requires VC_REDIST for C++ 2017. Windows 10 post Launch build has it already installed. It's nothing new that C++ runtimes are required, after all it runs on dotnet.
Agreed on .NET Framework requirement & presence on Windows 10. The runtime in question is Visual C++ 2017 Runtime, which is not already present, and is a dependency of this latest VapourSynth and not StaxRip itself. But maybe we don't put Microsoft dependencies in the Apps folder like we do other dependencies; in which case letting VapourSynth download it from Microsoft.com instead of pre-resolving it from a local source is fine.

The observation I was raising isn't that it's unexpected that FFMPEG would require VapourSynth, nor unexpected that VapourSynth would require Python. The observation was that StaxRip 2.0.0.0 didn't appear to be aware of these dependencies, and wasn't intercepting "Hey, you're trying to run something that is going to require VapourSynth to be installed, here's an install button for you." (And in turn, first installing Python before installing VapourSynth.)

i.e. It wasn't expected to me anyway that 2.0.0.0 would run FFMPEG and let it fail with 0xC0000135, rather than guiding the user to install Python and VapourSynth first. I don't think I'm off base in thinking 1.9.0.0 and 1.7.0.6 did manage these dependencies; or else I'm not explaining myself correctly. Thanks.