View Single Post
Old 5th October 2018, 08:45   #27  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

And finally, the thermal compound used can make a big difference.
After 2..3 years all my systems (2 towers, 6 laptops over time) began to suffer from hardened stock thermal compound, throttling setting in sooner and sooner. Besides the necessary heatsink fin cleaning I removed that mostly white stuff (Dell had silverish stuff) and tried conductonaut on 3 systems (Indium/Gallium liquid)
-> Expensive, awesome, coolest ever, but cannot be used with aluminium heatsinks, destroys them by making an alloy.
After some months I found by accident (CPU upgrade) that conductonaut even made cold alloy with the sink-side copper heatspreader, the remnants behaving chippish and leaving scars... I had to scratch/grind/polish that off.
Back to Kryonaut, (seems to be very fine silver in a sticky grease), sacrificing some 2..3°C, happy camper now.
The main encoding laptop now runs x264 on a i7-4960X slightly OC @ 3,8Ghz, 6 cores give +86..+91°C, no throttling.