View Single Post
Old 13th April 2020, 21:36   #3  |  Link
wswartzendruber
hlg-tools Maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_MiSfit View Post
Fun project!

Here's one thing I've been trying to wrap my mind around regarding HLG: I get that one of the big appeals is "backwards compatibility", and I totally see how, from an EOTF standpoint it's somewhat backwards compatible with SDR. In other words, you could feed an HLG signal to a dumb SDR display and the luminance would look mostly correct.

However, I don't understand how (without some other component) it can be backwards compatible from a color gamut standpoint. If you're doing HLG with Rec2020 or P3, from what I understand that will NOT look correct on a non wide-gamut display. Gamut conversion is not trivial.

So... how does that work?

Your screenshot looks at least mostly correct to me, so I'm wondering how you / VLC converted the gamut from Rec2020 to Rec709.
It's entirely on the player to do that, as you have surmised. VLC does an outstanding job of it while Kodi doesn't even seem to try (everything looks washed out).

My assumption with VLC is that it is using some kind of logarithmic roll-off to compress the color dynamics. However they do it, the results are outstanding.

EDIT: I have to take that back. I put Alita through Kodi and Rec.2020->Rec.709 mapping was indeed happening. That other clip I played must not have had the right colorspace signaled.

Last edited by wswartzendruber; 14th April 2020 at 07:34.
wswartzendruber is offline   Reply With Quote