View Single Post
Old 2nd June 2017, 04:39   #45  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan9778 View Post
Thanks, I'll try that.
I don't know where that theory came from, but it wouldn't make any difference.

ITU and mpeg4 resizing both give you 786 x 576 (or 1048 x 576), with the aspect error for the mpeg4 PAR being slightly higher, but still only 0.07%. Resizing to 788 or 1050 instead obviously only increases the width by 2 pixels, or just under 0.2%.

I could understand the BBC using 788 instead of 786 as it's mod4, but 1050 is mod2, so that doesn't seem like it'd be the reason.

I doubt you'll ever find the "real" aspect ratio for those DVDs, especially for episodes that were reconstructed from different sources. The aspect ratio probably would have been fudged differently throughout.
I recall seeing something on how one of the old Jon Pertwee series was restored. Apparently the only colour copy in existence was an old home VCR recording, but there was a sharper black and white film print, so they overlayed the colour from the video onto the film version, except the film version had been made by pointing a film camera at a TV screen, and back then TV screens were far from flat, so the film version had to be warped a little to match it to the VCR recoding. That probably wouldn't have been enough to fudge the aspect ratio noticeably on it's own, but back in the very early days I wonder how the TVs would have been calibrated before they were used to record the film version. Probably by playing a video while a technician fiddled with the picture width until it looked about right.

Last edited by hello_hello; 2nd June 2017 at 05:04.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote