View Single Post
Old 6th October 2017, 18:47   #1465  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissory View Post
Thanks for the great program, LoRd_MuldeR!

One thing I noticed though is if I convert .wav files containing metadata to .flac and back again to .wav all the original .wav metadata such as "Track name" is lost. Any way to fix this?
Hello.

The procedure is as follows: We use MediaInfo to detect the meta tags from the original input file, then we decompress the input file to WAV, and finally we encode to temporary WAV using the selected encoder (e.g. LAME, VorbisEnc, OpusEnc, or FLAC). Also, when we invoke the selected encoder, we forward the previously detected meta tags - as far as possible. The capabilities of the different encoders supported by LameXP differ greatly in what meta tags they support. But most of them support at least the bear minimum. Now, the "problem" with the WAV format is that WAV format does not really use an encoder at all! WAV format is the uncompressed output of the decoder. If, for example, you "convert" from FLAC to WAV, the resulting WAV file is actually the direct output of the FLAC decoder! There is no "encoding" step, in which we could embed the meta tags. And, apparently, the FLAC decoder does not add meta tags to the WAV file it produces.

BTW: I'm not even sure there is a standardized way of storing meta tags in WAV files. Sure, the WAV format is based on the RIFF format, so you can add arbitrary additional RIFF chunks to the file and any well-behaving application should simply ignore those additional RIFF chunks, if it doesn't understand them. But unless there is a widely-support standard for embedding meta tags in WAV format, it will be pretty pointless endeavor...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 6th October 2017 at 19:32.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote