View Single Post
Old 27th November 2016, 14:06   #4435  |  Link
K.i.N.G

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
I assume Plex is using Nvidia's H.264/AVC encoder, not x264. Running x264 or x265 would be slow on the Shield's CPU. Likewise, you'd need an app that uses Nvidia's H.265/HEVC encoder for fast H.265/HEVC encoding. Maybe you can ask Plex developers if they are willing to add this functionality.
Yeah that's what I thought but the presets they use are exactle named as the x264 ones... so I later 'assumed/hoped' it could be x264.
Plex also runs on multiple platforms which many aren't intel and/or nvidia related (windows, unix, my NAS, etc...)

anyway, you're right about contacting them. Wil do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
If you can compile x26* for this target OS and CPU architecture, you can probably also use the encoder on it; but I would not recommend using mobile devices for such time and energy consuming tasks. Such CPUs may preferably save energy, instead of executing highly efficient SIMD instructions. And x265 requires a magnitude more processing power than x264, and highly efficient instruction extensions (especially vector math extensions like AVX) help x265 a lot more. Tegra X1 is highly parallelized, but will probably have a lower complexity in available instructions. And x265 does not require maximum parallelizability, instead rather wide and purpose-relevant SIMD and vector instructions.
its not really a portable device though and its cpu/gpu got some more punch (still not close to an i7 or i5 naturally)...
And the reason I want to use it for encoding is exactly the point you bring up: time & power...
I dont need the power of my media station as much as I need my work station
I wouldnt mind if it needs a whole week. As long as I can set it as a lower priority task so i can watch a movie from time to time in between.

Last edited by K.i.N.G; 28th November 2016 at 01:29.
K.i.N.G is offline   Reply With Quote