View Single Post
Old 14th May 2009, 17:53   #1015  |  Link
Grmpf

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerxnet View Post
I have been on this thread from the beginning, so yes I read all pages. I am not concerned about the color space from 4:2:2 to 4:4:4 as I am aware of this. If you read my thread correctly I am concerned whether MadVr uses the correct Lut when scaling to the NATIVE resolution of my panel. If it does, GREAT. If not it would be nice to have a selection within the GUI for 601 or 709.

The reason I ask this is: Is MadVR is using the scaling values from powerstrip to identify 601 or 709, or is it using a flag within the stream to identify SD or HD. If using the first situation we will have the wrong lut in use. The use of the PC to scale has been done by many as you are aware, and to give control over custom porch values on a CRT as well.

MadVr has no capabilities to change resolution, it is the job of the graphics card; ie from (SD)720 x 480 to (HD)1920 x 1080p. Please correct me if I am mistaken as to how MadVr determines LUT usage.

Thanks,

MAK
Hello Mak,

i didn't wanted to be rude in my last post, but i think you still have some misunderstanding about madVR and how it works. Powerstrip changes the resolution of your PC/Desktop and Player software (if its fullscreen), but the scaling is done by the renderer (if you do not use ffdshow or similar and you should *not* use it if you use madVR instead), common renderers doesn't allow you to choose how they scale and they scale bad compared to madVR (or ffdshow, thats why everyone uses ffdshow to scale before madVR was around), but madVR gives you the full control over it, you can even choose differend scalingmethods for luma and chroma ! This has nothing to do with the LUT btw. the LUT is for changing the colorspace and for correcting the primaries/etc. of your display.

So now to your "problem", madVR looks at the input resolution (if you feed SD it uses 601, if you feed HD it uses 709) and not at the output resolution to determine which colormatrix/LUT to use. It does not use the output resolution for the determination or some flag or so, just the input resolution you feed into madVR (thats one reason why it is bad to scale before madVR).
Grmpf is offline   Reply With Quote