View Single Post
Old 28th July 2021, 18:35   #61793  |  Link
Sunspark

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
@Sunspark: can you create a file named ShowRenderSteps (with no file extension) in madVR's program files folder, and then take screenshots of madVR OSD during playback (wait for the clocks and GPU utilization to stabilize) on both Win7 and Win10 and compare the figures? To check if the GPU utilization is due to one particular step of madVR's pipeline or if all steps have higher rendering times on Windows 10.
(I know it's cumbersome, but I don't see another way to find out what is causing that much higher usage)
Thanks el Filou for the suggestion to look closer again with the ShowRenderSteps.

The mystery is solved.

In Win7 I wasn't using exactly the same settings, so I thought to myself, let's try to make it more like the setup in Win10 for consistency in measurement so I added a module I wasn't using there, and all of a sudden, heavy usage in Win7 too.

It was the subtitle renderer that was adding all the extra usage, but also another setting as well. Different combinations of stuff will vary cpu & gpu usage, etc. slightly but it generally came down to 2 settings together. Overlay mode and the subtitle renderer.

overlay mode on, xysubfilter on - heavy usage
overlay mode off, xysubfilter on - heavy usage
overlay mode on, internal subtitle renderer on - heavy usage
overlay mode off, internal subsubtitle renderer on - normal usage
overlay mode on, assfilter on - heavy usage
overlay mode off, assfilter on - heavy usage

There is only 1 combination in mpc-hc that doesn't crank up the power if you need to have subtitles on as I do. DON'T use D3D9 Windowed Overlay mode and ONLY use the player's internal subtitle renderer.

Such a shame, because xysubfilter has sharper rendering and better positioning. Sigh..

Incidentally, in D3D9 windowed (non-overlay) mode backbuffers has lower cpu/gpu usage than frames in advance.

Image below is what it looks like with xysubfilter active.. all the extra rendering steps that doesn't happen with the internal subtitle renderer.

Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote