View Single Post
Old 19th October 2018, 20:37   #6455  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

I finished my short tests today, and these are the settings that I found to suit my requirements.

1080p:
Code:
--deblock -3:-3 --no-strong-intra-smoothing --merange 44 --no-sao --qcomp 0.75 --aq-mode 3 --aq-strength 0.8 --ctu 32
--max-tu-size 32 --qg-size 8 --tu-inter-depth 4 --tu-intra-depth 4 --limit-tu 4 --limit-refs 3 --max-merge 3 --rd-refine
--ref 6 --bframes 10 --crf 20.5
720p:
Code:
--deblock -3:-3 --no-strong-intra-smoothing --merange 38 --no-sao --qcomp 0.8 --aq-mode 3 --aq-strength 0.8 --ctu 16
--max-tu-size 16 --qg-size 8 --tu-inter-depth 3 --tu-intra-depth 3 --limit-tu 4 --limit-refs 3 --max-merge 3 --rd-refine
--ref 6 --bframes 10 --crf 19.5
Very few changes between the two, but the CTU/TU size was an obvious change based on the comparison I made. Upon playback, the video looks very good in both resolutions on my 65" LCD even when watched from 1 meter or so. As a test source, I used the first episode of Black Sails as it's generally considered a very high quality Blu-ray release.

I did try finding out differences between deblock 1:1 and -3:-3 in motion but couldn't tell. If someone had ABX'd me, I probably wouldn't have been able to say which one is which. Mind you, the scene I used contained quite a lot of motion and some fast cuts so maybe they were just not visible there. Anyway, I chose a low value as I think it will retain detail and sharpness better. I watch everything from about 3-3.5 meters anyway, so any small blocking won't be that visible.

Edit: both encodes using the preset "veryslow".

Last edited by Boulder; 20th October 2018 at 16:19.
Boulder is offline   Reply With Quote