Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 21st June 2016, 19:32   #1773  |  Link
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultim View Post
I don't agree. Yes this problem is more pronounced than a year ago because now there are even more 64bit plugins. But even back then there have been more than enough, literally dozens because I collected links to all of what I could find.
You did it wrong. You just counted links without any concern for actual usefulness or popularity. Last time I called you out on this you mainly cited JoshyD's and squid80's ports of an eclectic bunch of about two dozen plugins, most made in the first half of 2010 and never updated after that, and without any attempts at modernization whatsoever. I think they just ripped out a bunch of things that didn't work in many cases and some of the ports were pretty buggy. There were like three people who used this x64 version of 2.5.8 and it died a peaceful death within a year or two. I don't think many people ever were aware these plugin versions even existed (burying mediafire links deep in some thread on d9 isn't a great marketing strategy).

Other than that you also cited tp7's modernized plugins, which should have been trivial to recompile for a new API. Even JoshyD's and squid80's plugins should have been fairly trivial to just recompile against a new header.

This wasn't an "ecosystem", it was an abandoned garbage dump.

Quote:
Second, those changes, while "correct" on a theoretical level, bring absolutely zero advantage to any realistic use case or application.
From a strict API standpoint perhaps, but you gotta consider that it locks both you and your users into a particular allocation strategy.

Quote:
And besides, our result was not a "sorta working 64-bit Avisynth", but a fully functional one.
Remind me again, for how many months did the latest release version have a critical slowdown issue?

Really, the main problem with Avs+ is that it's based on Avisynth, with all the baggage that comes with that. Just look at pinterf's insane attempts at getting MT to kinda sorta maybe work. The right thing to do is to keep the parts the users care about (i.e. the parts they see, the plugin loading and the scripting language) and throw most of the old garbage out completely. Vapoursynth did this but also threw out the scripting language, so it's more powerful but people don't like it because it's unfamiliar. If all these people who have attempted to hack on Avisynth in the last ten years would have spent half as much effort on a well designed and thought out rewrite instead of hacking on the increasingly broken 90's garbage we would have been in an infinitely better situation today.

Last edited by TheFluff; 21st June 2016 at 19:35.