View Single Post
Old 12th July 2020, 01:23   #13  |  Link
BobbyBoberton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
This is not a good way to figure out this relation. You do not actually get the same quality with the same settings when you change the bitdepth. You are comparing files with different quality and different sizes, which makes it very hard to learn anything.

Ideally you would use a two pass encode while testing so the files were the same size and you can judge them on quality. To do this you also need to compress enough that you can judge differences in quality.

From forum user reports and my limited testing I believe that with x265 the difference in efficiency between 8 and 10 bit is not very significant, it is with x264 where you get a big improvement. However, 10 bit is still better and hardware 10 bit decoding is much more common for 10 bit HEVC so it is also reasonably piratical, unlike 10 bit AVC or 12 bit HEVC. I always encode to 10 bit HEVC, when I encode to HEVC, with 8 or 10 bit sources.
Ok, I can do that but I don't really understand why. I do not do video processing professionally so my knowledge is in the early-mid home enthusiast-level (I am starting to understand colorspaces and HDR metadata and stuff like that but the best way to test a video's quality to another isn't something I can easily answer besides if it looks good to you that's all that matters if it's for your personal use only obviously) so it is not obvious to me why encoding a file via CRF with only changing aq-mode=3 to hevc-aq=1 is not a valid method of comparison if you are using the same source file, shouldn't the encoder pull out as much quality (information) from the input either way? I know that making a CBR encode usually can help show you which parts of a video require the most bitrate to show the proper detail but if you are interested in getting the 'most for your money', money being time and actual electricity and you are not planning on showing this on a network with limited bandwidth (like broadcast TV) then I was told that CRF is the way to go.

Can you explain more? or point me to a resource that would help explain why?

BobbyBoberton is offline   Reply With Quote