View Single Post
Old 26th July 2020, 04:31   #34  |  Link
BobbyBoberton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
No. You are telling the device what the mastering was, not what it should do when displaying it. You do not change the metadata for your display. The entire reason for metadata is because the file represents colors too bright for your display, you are telling it exactly how bright it represents so your device can figure out the best way to compress it into the range it can actually display.

P3 is very not the same as BT.2020, encoding a BT.2020 source and lying to the display that it is P3 will make it very washed out. The same is true in reverse, P3 content flagged as BT.2020 will be very over saturated. Very noticeable but a decipherable picture.
Oh wow yeah that does make perfect sense, just means I will have to do some re-encoding of material as I was keeping a constant max-cll=1000,400 on my HDR encodes even when they were not the source values. I don't current have an HDR monitor to try this stuff out on besides a Samsung Note10+ phone so when I play the video files I have 'wrongly "HDRd" on it they don't seem weird but I am not 100% that it is picking up the HDR data to begin with. Thats why I can't wait to get a HDR10/HDR10+/Dolby Vision compatible TV/Monitor for downstairs and I don't want all my hard work encoding to look terrible, it'll take a bit of time but I can redo the damage pretty quick, maybe a week or two and I should be ok.

EDIT: Also, due to some sloppy batch controlling I accidently encoded a set of 1080p SDR files as HDR ones. I know that this wont effect playback on SDR device but what effect will this have on an HDR monitor? Will the video look 'wrong' due to that extra HDR data? Also is that "HDR metadata" the "global tags" that are found in MKVtoolNiX? If so can I just strip the global tags from the files without having to re-encode the entire file? This would save me a ton of time if possible.

EDIT2: Also this only works for HDR10 static metadata right? As others were discussing above you would need a HDR10+ parser to 'map the dynamic HDR10+ metadata' and then use that file with the appropriate options to intake the HDR10+ metadata (I have seen these options on the x265 options page I just don't remember the specific command off the top of my head). Is that all correct?

Thank you!

Last edited by BobbyBoberton; 27th July 2020 at 01:19. Reason: another question
BobbyBoberton is offline   Reply With Quote