View Single Post
Old 18th August 2013, 23:32   #2327  |  Link
manolito

Hi qyot27,

I do appreciate your helpful comments about ffmpeg compatibility with different versions of AviSynth very much, but this also triggers a real bad ranting about ffmpeg development (this is in no way directed at you)...

I come from the very old days of IBM compatible computers, and backward compatability was everything at this time. When Apple came into the game, they had a very different attitude about backward compatibility, and this was always one of the reasons I hated Apple.

Now the ffmpeg developpers release versions which only work with AviSynth 2.6 which is still Alpha. Are they crazy? Alpha means that it should not be used in productive environments.

I try to avoid ffmpeg as much as I can, but this is not always possible. I have at least 5 different ffmpeg versions on my computer, and if the version which came with a specific software actually works, I am happy. But in reality this is not always the case.

One example is WinFF. They try to use current versions of ffmpeg, but often they fail to update their templates for yet another change in the ffmpeg command line interface. I spent a lot of time to debug these things or to find a different ffmpeg version which actually worked.

ffmpeg documentation is another problem, in most cases the documentation which comes with a specific ffmpeg version is faulty and does not match the actual ffmpeg version.

My conclusion is that ffmpeg is a prime example how distributed software development should NOT be done. Pure chaos...

OK, this is OT for this thread, but I had to get this out!

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote