View Single Post
Old 9th July 2020, 17:22   #29607  |  Link
Mark_Venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I'm seeing quite a bit of difference between presets when running against the same source. The "performance" preset, for example, is running much faster than "default" or "quality". It can also change based on whether I am using --vbr or --vbrhq.

For example, on a specific UHD source I'm using for testing with preset "performance" and "--vbr" I am getting 127.49 fps -- the same source with "quality" and "--vbrhq" it is doing 77.67 fps (with an otherwise identical command line).

I am also seeing fluctuations depending upon the size (on disc) of the source. An imported 10GB source M2TS encodes faster than a full 60GB untouched source.

The largest factor to speed I've seen (as you might expect) is whether I am using --avs as the input type as opposed to --avhw or --avsw.
you mention different presets. I was wondering about using the same source, with the same preset, across different cards.

cartman0208 indicated using the same command line that Mike-uk posted, resulted in similar FPS using different video cards (GTX1660ti vs RTX 2070 Super) based on their posts. And using the same string Mike-uk posted on a UHD rip on my PC also came out with the same FPS (using GTX1660ti here).

When all is said and done, it will be interesting to compare results if we could each run tests on our respective systems using the SAME pre-sets and (if possible) the same source.
Mark_Venture is offline   Reply With Quote