View Single Post
Old 22nd September 2009, 01:42   #5313  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by samtroy View Post
Strange VC-1 encoding errors

I've noticed that with VC-1 sources there are strange picture distortions in certain scenes. The effect appears only in *very grainy scenes* (like the whole movie "300" is shot). The picture then has some kind of pulsating horizontal distortions. As soon as these grainy scenes are over the problem is completely gone.

This problem is absolutely *not* there with AVC/H.264 movies! I've already tried different VC-1 de-coders: ffdshow's internal one and WMP9. But both show the same problem . So it's apparently not a decoding issue..

I suspect it has something to do with x264's encoding. As if x264 has problems to properly encode VC-1 movies with very grainy scenes in it. Maybe it doesn't distribute the bitrate correctly.. ??

Could BD Rebuilder's encoding settings for x264 have something to do with it? Or has anyone had similar problems like this with VC-1 movies?

Latest BDR version, Win7 (also tried Vista), movie-only, BD9, no resizing, 2-pass high quality. Like I said, H.264 sources are perfectly OK.

Thanks for any help!
Not likely -- X264 doesn't know or care about the source of the frames, they are delivered by AVISYNTH as decoded frames. Have you looked at the source by playing back through the AVS files. My guess would be that the error is there before the encode.

Quote:
But BD Rebuilder *always* does process the demuxed AC3 files anyway. They are written again to the workfolder with nicaudio.dlls amplify-settings applied.
Are you using BATCH mode? I have done many, many encodes keeping the original -- and it never reencodes for me. It just remuxes with that AVC encode. Give me an example source upon which it happens and the contents of the INI file and I'll do the same encode on mine. If it happens I'll fix it -- but it hasn't happened yet.

Last edited by jdobbs; 22nd September 2009 at 01:46.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote