View Single Post
Old 21st February 2015, 04:15   #34  |  Link
Asmodian

I have updated the chart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm3nian View Post
Can you expand on image upscaling?

Let's say watching a 1080 video on a 1440 screen would look messy on youtube or maybe a mobile device, but it would look better with the advanced codecs in madvr?
I do not want to recommend particular resize methods or go into the subjective differences between them. The bar graphs in madVR already do a good job of that. The reason it might look messy on a mobile device is only because it uses bilinear, nearest neighbor, or similar which are also options in madVR.

Resizing methods are not codecs. Codec is short for "coder decoder" and usually referrers to software which codes images, video, or audio in a different format like JPEG, H.264, or MP3 and can then decode it back to the original format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm3nian View Post
Also, for watching a 1920x1080 video on a 3840x2160 screen, 4x the res, would using the other codecs do anything compared to nearest neighbor? Wouldn't just adding the same pixels horizontally and vertically be all that is needed.
No. Imagine you start with an image at 3840x2160. You scale it down to 1920x1080. Now you want to upscale it so it looks as much like the original 3840x2160 image as it can. Nearest neighbor does not get very close. You want it to look as if it was the same content but at 2x the resolution, you do not want to represent the lower resolution source perfectly.

Also it is 2x the resolution, not 4x. 4x would be 8K or 7680x4320. A scaling factor of 1.414213562393095 is not a 2x upscale.

Image doubling generates 4 times the number of pixels. Image quadrupling generates 16 times the number of pixels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Where are you planning on posting this? It is a good first point of contact before trying to talk about madVR.

I think I'm a layman and it's not oversimplified to me. Each bubble is an entry point to a discussion.
I want to collect feedback on it for a bit before adding it to the end of the first post.
Asmodian is online now   Reply With Quote