View Single Post
Old 14th December 2018, 05:45   #9  |  Link
abolibibelot

As I said, the default stabilizer in Magix VD performed better than the included Mercalli module – which is probably a limited version as well.

I managed to get a correct result with DePanStabilize for the most part, but there are a few sections with steady shakiness where it seems to completely ignore it. Some parameters seem to have no effect at all, some of them I don't even understand what they're supposed to do. Another thing I don't understand : if I try to set custom values for dxmax/dymax, it performs very poorly, at least with method=1 (and according to my tests, the other methods are either inefficient or unstable), only when I set them to “-1” (which according to the documentation is the default value and corresponds to a quarter of the width or heigth) does is perform (mostly) satisfyingly, yet the extent of the shakiness is generally very limited on the footage I want to process, when the aforementioned issue kicks in (caused by a defective optical stabilizer), the picture moves steadily by approximately 5 pixels up and down (sometimes laterally but it's vertical for the most part), so analyzing within a range of 10 or even 20 pixels (if that's actually what those parameters mean) should be more than enough.
It's been asked before, here for instance, but I couldn't find satifying replies. So could anyone provide clear(er) explanations regarding those settings, or explain why they seem to do nothing ?
[DePenEstimate]
– range (doesn't change anything)
– trust (doesn't change anything)
– stab (doesn't change anything)
– show (doesn't show anything)
[DePanStabilize]
– cutoff (doesn't change anything as far as I can see)
– damping (doesn't change anything as far as I can see)
– blur (it's supposed to blur the borders but I don't see any effect)
– dxmax / dymax : it's said that these parameters work only with method=0, why is that ? How is the threshold defined with method=1 ?
– method : how does each one function ? What are “inertial”, “two-way average”, “unlimited (static) stabilization”, “tracking of the base (first) frame instead of stabilization” ?
– fitlast

Here is my current command :
Code:
mdata=DePanEstimate(range=20,trust=4.0,stab=1.00,dxmax=-1,dymax=-1,pixaspect=1)
DePanStabilize(data=mdata,cutoff=1.0,damping=1,initzoom=1.025,dxmax=8,dymax=8,method=1,mirror=15,prev=0,next=0,blur=30,info=false)
Is there any way I could improve over this ?

Quote:
Here is a link to the post I made in the Vegas forum over a decade ago where I developed my scripts to automate deshaking from within Vegas. It ended up being a bit of a three-corner billiard shot because it involved both a script within Vegas that "talked" to a script inside of VirtualDub, with parameters being passed back and forth.
And so, was it worth it, compared with the included stabilizer, if it included such a feature at the time ? Perhaps there was none back then ?

Last edited by abolibibelot; 14th December 2018 at 05:48.
abolibibelot is offline   Reply With Quote