View Single Post
Old 19th August 2018, 23:57   #26  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

I'm more concerned about compatibility rather than the playback speed.
Besides, Opus was created to accomplish good communications with low bandwidth when two or more people were talking.
Later on, they developed other profiles that aimed to compress other types of contents and not just speech and they did a good job, however, Opus is not widely used and is not considered as standard as AAC and AC3 are.
The large majority of players will likely accept AAC or AC3 audio files, but will probably refuse an Opus audio file.
I'm not talking about computers, I'm talking about hardware decoders like bluray players, consoles and smart tv.
I also gotta say that AC3 might be a bit old (although still valid and widely used), but AAC has a really good psychoacoustic model and its MDCT filter bank that adaptively switches between 128 and 1024 bands (length 256 and 2048 FFT windows, using 50% overlap) demonstrated to be effective through these years, that's why AAC has become the first choice when people encode lossy audio contents.
I'm not saying that you shouldn't use Opus, but is it really worth saving few megabytes at the expense of compatibility with many devices when generally AAC 192kbit/s would be sufficient, AAC 320kbit/s would be good and AAC 384 kbit/s would be crystal and all you need?

Last edited by FranceBB; 20th August 2018 at 00:02.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote