View Single Post
Old 16th October 2019, 19:36   #34  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbtn View Post
Thank you! I found the optimal values.
And I have a question, if I wanna spend like 18mb/s of bitrate to all my encodes (If they can use less bitrate for a quality that suits me, I don't care. And if they need more, I don't want to spend more), what the best way, adjust CRF to target bitrate or use ABR?
I'm asking because I did test and noticed that CRF encode in slow scenes much worse than ABR. I didn't compare high motions scenes yet, but I'm a little confused.
I always use CRF. I've figured out a level which will generally produce transparent results when watching from about 2 metres, then reduced the figure a bit more to gain some headroom. This is simply because the material varies so much. Some requires very few bits, but some black and white movies with a lot of grain will eat bits for breakfast. CRF 18 is the one I use for my 720p encodes, 1080p could probably handle CRF 19 but 18 is on the safe side.

If I'm not entirely mistaken, a 2-pass encode at 18 Mbps and CRF resulting in the same average bitrate should produce equal quality. The rate control mechanism is most likely the same, at least that's how it is with x264.