View Single Post
Old 28th January 2019, 19:11   #23  |  Link
Grojm

This is not a pet project - this is absolutely necessary!

"ffmpeg HDR metadata" is the among the top 4 (!) suggestions in Google if you type "ffmpeg HDR". Because everyone who wants to encode HDR will stumble across this. HDR is already in the mass market. The demand for such a bugfix is huge.

I didn't insult the developers, I just told the truth. If you think the truth is insulting, this is your problem. I only suggested that we should stop glorifying developers for just having fun. I mean you wouldn't give a skydiver credit because he had fun, and you wouldn't say he "donated" his time to skydiving. But it's still ok that people have fun, don't get me wrong. I also like to have fun. You just can't develop software with this attitude. What's necessary is that we empathize the importance of bugfixing and start to develop a culture in which fixing bugs gets you lot's of honor and fame, and people who are just dropping their cool innovative but buggy piece of code should not be given the same amount of honor.
There is even something the leadership can do about this. Look at Linus Torvalds and how he is telling people if they produce buggy code quite clearly. Every project needs someone like Linus Torvalds.
One could even build some gamification elements in this. Like every new feature submission has to be followed by one bugfix submission, otherwise you can not submit new features any more. Bugs like the present one would be fixed within weeks. The ffmpeg devs are really fast. Just look how fast cehoyos was to downplay the importance of this very serious issue. It was like one minute reaction time - on a Sunday! They have a lot of spare time but the incentives must be misaligned if this time and energy is not converted into good code. This is what I wanted to tell right from the beginning.

Last edited by Grojm; 28th January 2019 at 19:50.
Grojm is offline   Reply With Quote