View Single Post
Old 24th February 2015, 05:36   #58  |  Link
Arm3nian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
The marketing always seems to skew towards selling more televisions as opposed to providing technical information, but I don't know why this simple topic has to cover so many consecutive posts.

A 720p source has 2.25x the number of pixels of a 1080p source. However, the actual increase in vertical resolution or (pixels per inch) is only 1.5x. The amount of dots per inch is a better indication of quality than the total number of pixels.

Moving from 1080p to 4K, the number of pixels increases to 4x, but the scaling factor only improves to a mere 2x.

A better question is whether anyone can resolve the extra pixels per inch from their seating distance, which they probably cannot.
Everyone in this thread understands 4x vs 2x. We were just debating on the correct terminology. In my first post I mentioned 1920x1080 is 4x the resolution of 3840x2160. Saying 2x horizontal and 2x vertical resolution is the same. 2x scaling just makes it confusing. 3840x2160 is 4x more demanding than 1920x1080, so we should refer to it as 4x unless otherwise specified that you are talking about the pixel count in 1 direction.

Think about a water bottle. If I have a water bottle that is 1ft tall, and I increase it to 2ft, I now have a water bottle that is 2x bigger, because it holds 2x the water. If I increase it to 4ft, then I have a watter bottle that holds 4x as much as water as the initial bottle, making it 4x bigger. Now lets say I invent a gun that makes objects 2x bigger and I shoot my water bottle. Is it going to make it only 2x taller? No, it is going to multiply ALL dimensions by a factor of 2. Now the water bottle does not hold 2x as much water, it holds 8x as much water. So in theory, increasing something by a factor of 2 is relative on the amount of dimensions. In 1d, a factor of 2 increases the size by 2, in 2d, a factor of 2 increases the size by 4, and in 3d, a factor of 2 increases the size by 8. In other words, it more precise to refer to these things by what matters. In resolution, the pixel count, which directly relates to the performance. And in the case of the water bottle, to the volume, which directly reflects the amount of water it can hold. Making something 2x bigger just implies that the actual value did not increase linearly, so why not just refer to the actual value directly... makes it more simple, and more logical.

Resolution is just another word for pixel count. A resolution of 2 means 2 pixels. A resolution of 3840x2160 means 8294400 pixels. The image is just the object. The resolution is the quantity being defined. Just like a water bottle is the object and the volume is being defined. This is why madshi refers to it as image doubling, because making an image 2x bigger creates 4x the pixels. Saying the resolution in 1920x1080 to 3840x2160 doubled makes no sense, because it quadrupled. The image itself doubled.

4k might provide an increase in perceived image quality on a TV, but it is more noticeable on a monitor to me since I sit close.

Last edited by Arm3nian; 26th February 2015 at 08:41.
Arm3nian is offline   Reply With Quote