View Single Post
Old 2nd July 2020, 21:18   #10  |  Link
nhw_pulsar

Hello,

Thank you for your interest.

Yes, for now the NHW Project is only a demo experimental version for just 512x512 color bitmap images and so just a proof-of-concept, but NHW is absolutely not optimized for 512x512 resolution, it can work as good on any resolution.Actually, I am working on my spare time on NHW as a hobby and just want to have fun with it, and unfortunately adapting to any image resolution (like 1600x1200) is really the "boring task" for me currently... But I am totally aware and ok that if a company wants to support/hire me to work on the NHW Project, then my very first task will be to adapt it to any arbitrary image resolution.But it's very difficult to find a company/organization that could support NHW, so far I have contacted the big industry like JPEG, MPEG, Alliance for Open Media, and all the major technology companies, and none is interested in the NHW Project... so the NHW Project orientates toward a niche codec.

I just wanted to emphasize on speed in my last post, and the next formats that are taking on on the Internet are WebP and now AVIF, and sorry to say that but I find them very slow to decode, consumate a lot of power.For me, NHW has a better visual quality and is 20x-30x faster to decode, and so maybe for mobile devices with limited battery life this could be a certain advantage?... But stay reassured, I am totally aware that my chances are zero that the industry will reconsider its opinion on the NHW Project.

I don't think JPEG XL uses wavelet elements.Here again NHW has the speed advantage, because I could download JPEG XL binaries on this forum, I think that these binaries have SIMD turned on and multithreading switched off, and I also find JPEG XL quite slow to encode/decode... but there is maybe something wrong with my binaries (that I did not compile) because it is contrary to the JPEG XL authors claim.

Cheers,
Raphael
nhw_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote