View Single Post
Old 28th November 2018, 12:49   #4  |  Link
madloggan

Re: constant quantizer for vp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selur View Post
What makes you thing there should be a formula that you can find a relation between quantization mappings between different formats.
Seems to me like assuming that there should be a correlation to between the length of a translated of a text into different languages (which use the same symbols when written down).
For x264 and x265 (different languages) which share lots of code (grammar&co) and are quite similar a loose correlation might exist, but looking at different formats this seems to have no logical base.
Looking at what quantization is, I see no reason that there should be a a relation like you are looking for,...

Also as a side note: Why use '--passes=2' when using constant quantizer with VP9 ? iirc constrained quality is a 1pass encoding mode,....

What makes you thing there should be a formula that you can find a relation between quantization mappings between different formats.
Seems to me like assuming that there should be a correlation to between the length of a translated of a text into different languages (which use the same symbols when written down).
For x264 and x265 (different languages) which share lots of code (grammar&co) and are quite similar a loose correlation might exist, but looking at different formats this seems to have no logical base.
Looking at what quantization is, I see no reason that there should be a a relation like you are looking for,...

Also as a side note: Why use '--passes=2' when using constant quantizer with VP9 ? iirc constrained quality is a 1pass encoding mode,....

since afaik crf calculation in x264 and x265 is similar but quite different from VP9s quality level I'm even more doubtful that your goal is achievable,..

-> wish you the best of luck
Thank you

Quote:
Also as a side note: Why use '--passes=2' when using constant quantizer with VP9? iirc constrained quality is a 1pass encoding mode,...
when I use 2-pass, the output bitrate = 29003 kb/s
with 1-pass, the output bitrate = bitrate: 59061 kb/s

why it is different? if the CQ is 1 pass encoding mod..
madloggan is offline   Reply With Quote