View Single Post
Old 6th November 2017, 21:01   #1243  |  Link
johnmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
Well. You explicitly set the KNLMeansCL MT mode to MT_SERIALIZED at the top of the script, which means that it - and everything upstream of it up to and including the source filter - will run single-threaded and synchronously, just like in vanilla Avisynth. You've thereby intentionally bottlenecked the script, so what are you expecting to see here, really? The only filters that are running multithreaded in your script are interleave() and weave().

You can definitely multithread KNLMeansCL by running multiple instances of it (MT_MULTI_INSTANCE, and I hope you have a ton of RAM) but the main benefit of this isn't that it improves the performance of KNLMeansCL itself, but that it allows filters upstream of it to run in parallel. Avisynth's parallelism is brain damaged, news at 11.
You are right that in post #1232 I did include MT_SERIALIZE, but in my earlier post (#1223), I didn't have that. Believe me, I've tried all the various MT modes.

Your idea of MT_MULTI_INSTANCE is very intriguing. I didn't know about that. I'll pursue that and see what happens. I do happen to have a "ton of RAM," although whether AVISynth+ running KNLMeansCL will use it, or not, I don't know. It should be fun to try it and find out. Thanks!
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote