View Single Post
Old 12th February 2015, 04:01   #33  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyvholm View Post
Huhn, Taurus: Thank you very much for testing, it is much appreciated! Interestingly your opinions appear to be somewhat different from that of previous testers, so now the big question is if there's an actual difference or if you are just more critical.

Take a look at the following two screenshots:
VLC without sharpening
VLC with sharpening
This illustrates the difference between what I see on my end and what my friend sees on misc HDTVs. Both images have issues, but the question is: Does the noise you're seeing resemble the non-sharpened screenshot (softer, smoother) or the sharpened one (harsh w. artifacts)? And what make/model are your TVs?

Here's the Lagarith lossless AVI, which is the source of the MP4-clips:
Lossless AVI file (483MB)
Bear in mind that this is before noise reduction - purposely, I'm trying to establish why the noise looks so different depending on playback setup - and that shooting aurora footage is a compromise. Noise and softness simply cannot be avoided if you want fluid footage.
it looks like the VLC without sharpening picture.
the problem is already in the source.

the source is pretty blocky and noise. the blocks are easy to see in the top right just go 1 by 1 frame looks like "noise" blocks.the picture is so noisy it looks like it is dithered to 5-6 bit. I guess this just a limitation of the used camera or even camera in general.

the title_crf18.mkv encode from Stereodude looks decent while the title_crf18_nr.mkv looks fake. the uneven noise is kind of weird.

not sure about the Title-MCTD-high.mp4 it looks really blocky.

I guess I prefer title_crf18.mkv. I wonder this is just a problem in these dark scenes.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote