View Single Post
Old 12th December 2018, 03:22   #48  |  Link
manolito

+1

I used to be a big fan of sophisticated file managers in the old days. Under DOS this was of course Norton Commander, later XTree became my favorite. Then under Windows I used ZTree (XTree for Win), Speed Commander, TNT (The Next Tool) and of course Win Commander (M$ later forced them to change the name to Total Commander). I get a little nostalgic now. None of my friends is comfortable with file managers, they get scared immediately.

Today its just Total Commander and Explorer++ for me. I stopped upgrading Total Commander a few years ago, it is just perfect as it is. And Explorer++ is on all my WinPE (or WinRE) based disaster recovery CDs. But I will sure take the time and test some of the stuff in your compilation...

RE using a different search utility under Win7:

IMO M$ started to cripple searching even under XP. I still have Win98 on my machine, and I soon found out that the Win98 search would find files when I was searching for files containing a certain string while under XP I would not get any results. Turned out that under XP only files with certain known extensions would be searched for content.

Starting with Win7 searching from within Explorer became totally useless, and there are 2 replacements which I recommed:

The first one is FileSearchEX. Looks identical to the old Explorer search, nothing new to get used to. Only drawback that it is not free, and I found that searching for files containg a string is not always all that reliable.

The other one is EffectiveFileSearch, and this is my real favorite. It is free, it is fast (much faster than RaffRiff's tool) and totally reliable. Check it out...

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote