View Single Post
Old 12th April 2011, 12:58   #11  |  Link
pbristow

OK, I gave DeStripe a good try, with various settings, but it doesn't discriminate enough between the wanted edges and the unwanted ones.

It probably didn't help you guys that I forgot to point out that the original video is a lot darker than what I posted here: my script adds a gamma curve after all the other processing, to lift the performers' faces out of the gloom but avoid washing-out the background. (The original scene is unhelpfully back-lit.) So in the raw source, the stripes I'm trying to get rid of are very low amplitude (deviations of no more than 3 from the correct luma level) - which is why SpatialSoften does such a good job of smoothing them while leaving, say, the transition from mike stand to (bright) background is untouched - but then the stripes get boosted in brightness and prominence by the gamma curve.

I've decided to settle for using SpatialSoften with a smaller radius (2), and no vertical stretching tricks. I doesn't completely kill the stripes, but it greatly reduces them and is a lot quicker than the earlier method.

Thanks for your help, anyway. I really should get to grips with the power of MTlut(whatever) sometime...
pbristow is offline   Reply With Quote