View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2011, 01:36   #86  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegy View Post
would it be possible to make lamexp run without getting a msg about the elevated rights, maybe a option to turn it off
Possible, yes. But the whole point is that you shouldn't be running LameXP with elevated rights. What is the point of doing so ???

Simply don't run LameXP with elevated rights and you won't (or at least shouldn't) see the warning

Quote:
as i DO trust what programs i run as i know where the files are from
That's not the point. The point is that the 100% perfect software doesn't exist in the real world. Even if the software isn't malicious and seems trustworthy, it still may (and most likely does) contain some kind of "vulnerabilities", like potential buffer overflows. New vulnerabilities are revealed almost every day. This applies to commercial software as well as to OpenSource software. An attacker might exploit such vulnerabilities to insert executable code into the program, for example with something as "harmless" as a manipulated MP3 file. In that case the attacker could obtain unlimited access to your system, if the program is running with admin rights. If the program is running with limited access rights, the attacker still might be able to exploit the vulnerability, but he cannot do much harm...

Quote:
Running on Windows NT 6.1 (win 7)

TokenIsElevated: YES
TokenElevationType: TokenElevationTypeDefault
That's a combination I haven't reproduced locally. I assume this was when you launched the application without "Run as administrator" ???

If so, what UAC level do you have configured in control panel?

(You can find the UAC options under "Start" -> "Control Panel" -> "User Accounts" -> "Change User Account Control settings")

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 3rd January 2011 at 03:47.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote