View Single Post
Old 18th December 2015, 09:04   #15  |  Link
Ghitulescu

DivX was "suddenly" supported when Rovi took over and granted licences. It was not a customers' move but an official one. It would have stayed a computer format till Doomsday if it would have been only in the power of the customers.
While I understand the need for new formats that would reflect the needs for people - this is how MKV appeared, I do not understand the urge to modify existing and implemented formats to accomplish this. Big players do this and are criticized for implementing "technology obsolescence".

This is one of the standing facts that prevented the implementation of MKV into real players - the manufacturers were unsure that while they develop the firmware, the creators won't change its format (again).

AFAIK, MP4 allows for a sort of rudimentary menus, like DVD ones, but as I understood it only at simple navigation level (sort of the currently implemented file browsers in the hardware players). Far from BD menus, and noticeably simpler than the DVDs.
Free authoring suites for DVD/BD exist, also cheap alternatives with more options, and up to professional suites (that few people master anyway).
If one wants to do a BD or a DVD, he has many solutions.

The BD/DVD formats are maybe complex, but they are definitively not difficult to be kept in a single file, a lot of HW players as well as SW ones recognize the ISO (disc image) format, either as a file or, in exceptional cases, mounted via simple and free/cheap discmounting programs. Where is the problem?
Besides, java menus are not becoming simpler if one puts them into a single file. Only more compact, but what becomes simpler from the point of view of the operating system, increases in complexity inside the file - practically the complexity was shifted from the OS to the FileManipulationRoutines, and the file handling shifted from the OS to the "format" parser. And AFAIK there is no software that would transform a java menu into a BDMV one, although theoretically possible.

And finally, if one needs menus to change the audio or subtitle track, isn't this already implemented in the "format" parsing subroutines? Why complicating things for no gain?

But I also understand why the OP wanted this. I simply won't say it loud.