View Single Post
Old 11th September 2020, 21:44   #9  |  Link
Ghitulescu

A lot of troubles can be solved when one emplyos the real stuff.

I think the limiting factor in your case is the VCR.
VHS is inherently composite, because that were the things back then, not because of the technology - S-VHS makes use of the native YC storage of VHS system.

I have checked the eBay for pro VCRs and saw some Panasonic AGs that could do the job. I have myself three of them and there is no return even to the best of consumer decks., and yes I have also Digipure 4MB (normal only 2MB) JVCs. Only the tracking knob and VUmeter are worth the money, alone.

The choice of an interface is simpler now as there are only 3 chips - the only issue is to check it has no HW encoder, which usually is bad because it has to be cheap - and feed it with the YC coming from a S-VHS deck, this way the combfilter is not needed, which again must be cheap and is consequently bad.

My setup is simple - one of the Panasonics (the AG-7700) feeds a TBC with DSP (colour controls, sharpening, colour shift vert-hor) and the cleaned video is fed to a DVD in XP mode (max quality). I use either the Pioneer DVR-7000 or the Panasonic E20 (the European version has not the pedestal issue that plagued NTSC ones, until EH series) or the HS2 (an E20 with HDD for longer movies - I can recover it directly from HDD afterwards). The audio is taken via XLR to a mixer also with DSP (to clean the sound) then fed to the DVD. There is no delay between A and V, and even if, it can be solved in the audio mixer or at remuxing/mastering stage. It's real time, but the results are at least as good as 10 times wasted in various scripts - yes, sometimes it's no way out and one has to do things in avisynth, but only for cassettes that are really bad.

There are nice but very old by now guides and howtos both here and videohelp or digitalfaq.