View Single Post
Old 3rd October 2017, 08:57   #7  |  Link
Merlin93
Media Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by excellentswordfight View Post
The presets are already tweaked for genereal/baseline usage so when talking about non content specific scenarios you might as well just start there. I would say that --preset slow --no-sao is a pretty good baseline when quality is prioritized. SAO is in my experience only usefull for high CRF-values/low bitrates.
I appreciate that, and as an extremely low-level baseline, yeah that does make sense. However, it cannot really be a great baseline tune for all types of media. But currently, x265 only supplies a tune for high grain content.

As mentioned in my first post, my personal interest is to find x265 equivalents to tunes for animation, CGI, low action film, and fast action film content. Though ultimately I think it would be helpful to use this thread as a good place to discuss tuning in general and what people like for various types of content. Of course, it would be more useful if we can explore why various settings work best for different types of content, but since activity on this thread is fairly slow, I'd be happy to see any submissions.

I've found that my experience with x264 tuning doesn't really apply directly for x265. Or at least, using similar settings doesn't get the same results that I would expect. So I'd really like to understand what others use (and why) to help inform my own choices as I move more of my library to x265.

Thanks for the feedback.
Merlin93 is offline   Reply With Quote